Steven M. SiegfriedAttorney
Mr. Siegfried has practiced construction law since moving to Florida in 1976. He has extensive experience in all aspects of construction law, consulting clients on all phases of the construction process. Throughout his career, he has represented owners, developers, contractors, material suppliers and design professionals and has been involved with some of South Florida’s signature landmark projects.
Mr. Siegfried received an “AV Preeminent” rating—the highest available for an individual—from the national legal directory, Martindale-Hubbell. He has been listed among the International Who’s Who of Construction Lawyers and is listed as one of the top lawyers in his field in the South Florida Legal Guide. Mr. Siegfried has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” and “Best Lawyer in America” in the area of construction litigation. He was also named "Lawyer of the Year" in construction law in the Miami region for 2017 by Best Lawyers in America©, a peer review rating publication for legal professionals. Mr. Siegfried is a Board Certified Trial Attorney (1983), and Board Certified in Construction Law (2006).
In 1984, Mr. Siegfried created the Construction Law course for the University of Miami School of Law and has taught the course as an adjunct professor since its inception. He has been instrumental in the education and training of generations of Florida construction attorneys. Among his hundreds of law students over the years has been his son Nicholas, who is now also a board certified construction law partner at the firm.
Throughout the years, Mr. Siegfried has been active in many bar activities including the American Bar Association Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, where he served as Chairman of its Division 9 Steering Committee (1991-1994) and as a member of its Governing Committee. He also served as Chairman of the Construction Law Committee of the Miami-Dade County Bar Association (1995). In April 2009, Mr. Siegfried was recognized by the Florida Bar, its Board of Legal Specialization & Education and the Civil Trial Board Certification Committee, with an award commemorating his 25-year anniversary as a board certified civil trial lawyer in Florida. This honor is presented to those attorneys who have maintained the highest standards of board certification. He was also awarded the 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award by the Construction Law Committee of The Florida Bar. The coveted award recognizes Florida construction law practitioners for their lifetime of exemplary dedication and mentoring, and their commitment to maintaining the very highest level of professional reputation and integrity. Only one award is given each year.
- Florida Construction Law, Aspen Publishers, 2001, and 2002-2018 supplements.
- Florida Construction Lien Law, An Overview ; "Introduction to Construction Law," ALI/ABA, 1987 and 2019 supplement.
- “The Economic Loss Rule: Is a Building a "Product?" - Another View, 71 University of Miami Law Review, 2017.
- "Construction Defects, Latent Defects and Causes of Action", ABA, 2008.
- "Protecting Subcontractor with Appropriate Contract Clauses," Design-Build Contracting Handbook, Chapter 7, Wiley Law Publications, 1992.
- "The Contractor's Default: Remedies of the Lender," Laws and Practice, Chapter 7, Wiley Law Publications, 1991.
- “Subcontractors' Agreements, Drafting Effective Construction Contracts: How to Determine Your Rights and Obligations," The McGraw-Hill Construction Weekly, 1990 (Co-Author).
- "The Design Professional in the Construction Process," Construction Law, Chapter 5.04, Matthew Bender, 1986.
J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., Brooklyn College