Zachary T. SmithAttorney
Zachary T. Smith joined the firm in 2017 and concentrates his practice in the areas of construction law and commercial litigation. He represents owners, design professionals, developers and other construction professionals on matters involving project development, construction defects, contract drafting and negotiation, as well as dispute avoidance and resolution.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Smith worked as a law clerk at a South Florida commercial litigation firm assisting partners with tasks such as drafting and composing motions, demand letters, notice letters and complaints. He also has extensive experience in conducting legal research and providing case law analysis.
- Represented Grycon, LLC, a general contractor, in a claim against the developer of a condominium and adjacent parking/amenities structure in Doral, Florida. Following a ten-day bench trial, the Court found that Grycon was wrongfully terminated and awarded Grycon $6.4MM, plus attorney's fees and costs, and interest.
- Settlement of an arbitration claim arising from design and construction defects in the construction of a residential home in the Bahamas for $2MM.
- Settlement of a construction defect claim for a high-end condominium in Key Biscayne, Florida for over $9MM.
- Settlement of a construction defect claim for a high-end condominium in North Miami Beach, Florida for $4.2MM.
- Settlement of a construction defect claim for a high-end boutique condominium in South Beach, Florida for $2.2MM.
- Settlement of a construction defect claim for a condominium in Little Havana for $2.5MM.
- Settlement of a design and construction defect claim for the construction of a high-end cigar bar in Miami, Florida for approximately $600k.
- Obtained a jury verdict following a three-day trial in favor of homeowners and against their property insurer, State Farm Florida Ins. Co.
- Obtained a jury verdict following a three-day trial in favor of a homeowner against its property insurer, Universal Property & Casualty Ins. Co.
During law school, Mr. Smith was a member of the University of Miami Law Review. He was awarded the coveted CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Property & Insurance Law and Policy by the University.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 2018
Magna Cum Laude Order of the Coif
B.A., Boston University, 2015
Southern District of Florida