Michael L. HymanAttorney
Since 1970, Michael L. Hyman has represented community associations throughout Florida. He prides himself in providing his clients with the highest level of legal services mixed with a significant degree of personalized attention. Understanding that all community associations’ needs and issues are different, his solutions are customized to each client. Throughout the years, he has assisted clients in matters pertaining to the enforcement and interpretation of governing documents, contract drafting and negotiation, budgeting, developer turnover litigation, construction defects, and election assistance.
The Florida Bar has designated Mr. Hyman as a Board Certified Specialist in Condominium and Planned Development Law, a prestigious recognition that identifies lawyers with special knowledge, skills and proficiency, as well as a reputation for professionalism and ethics. Playing a significant role in the evolution of community associations throughout the state and in the laws that govern them, he frequently offers seminars and writes articles on topics relevant to the community association industry. He is also a designated facilitator of educational programs approved by the Department of Professional and Business Regulation.
Mr. Hyman has been the winning attorney in three landmark cases.
In 1972, Mr. Hyman was appointed by Governor Reuben Askew (by recommendation of The Florida Bar) to the first Florida Condominium Commission. In the past, he has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Greater Miami Chapter of Community Association Institute for seven terms, and was also the director of the Commercial Law Section of the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, and was a member of The Florida Bar’s Committee on Condominiums and Cooperatives.
In 1994, Mr. Hyman was inducted into the Community Association Law Institute College of Community Association Lawyers as a member of the Charter Class, an elite group of Community Association member attorneys who have distinguished themselves by exhibiting the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct. He has also been enlisted to lecture at various conferences throughout the nation, such as the Community Association Institute’s National Conference in San Francisco, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, New Orleans, New Port Beach, and Washington D.C. Mr. Hyman is a frequent speaker at the University of Miami Condominium & Cluster Housing seminars. He also has been named to the Super Lawyers listing for nine years.
Mr. Hyman was named to the 2023 Best Lawyers in America listing under the community association practice group.
- Article by Michael Hyman in Daily Business Review: “Associations Must Strictly Comply With Notice Requirements to Impose Fines, Liens”
- Article by Michael Hyman Daily Business Review: “Injunction Against Condo Owner Illustrates Just How Ugly Things Can Get”
- Michael Hyman Profiled in Article in Daily Business Review
- Article by Michael Hyman in Daily Business Review: “Association Deficits Don’t Excuse Developer From Funding HOA Reserves”
- Michael Hyman Authors Article in Daily Business Review: “Wrongful Death Suit Against Association Illustrates Perils of Negligent Security, Screening”
- Article by Michael Hyman in Miami Herald: Florida Estoppel Bill Would Force Owners in Associations to Pay Fees for Failed Sales
- Co-Author of Florida Condominium & Practice, Matthew Bender & Co., 1986.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law
B.A., University of Florida
Trial Bar of the Federal District Court