Oscar R. RiveraShareholder
Oscar R. Rivera is the chairman of the firm’s Real Estate/Corporate Practice Group.
Oscar R. Rivera’s practice focuses on real property and corporate law, representing numerous developers, investment companies, business owners, municipalities, lenders, retailers and management companies throughout the United States and Latin America. Since 1981, he has handled a broad range of matters involving the development and financing of various classes of commercial real estate including retail, office, industrial, multifamily and mixed-use properties. His expertise lies in acquisition and sales, leasing, contract/lease enforcement and evictions, loan transactions, foreclosures and workouts.
- Representation of developer of Mary Brickell Village in the development, leasing and $118MM plus sale of the project in Miami, FL.
- Representation of developer of Giralda Place in the development, leasing and sale of units in the $100MM mixed use office/retail/residential project in Coral Gables, FL.
- Represented seller in sale of $50MM Murano apartment complex in Orlando, FL.
- Representation of developer of Terrazas Riverparc in acquisition and development of $103MM mixed use residential/retail Miami River project in Miami, FL.
- Representation of Master Development Partners in the 102 acre land assemblage for the $800MM Dania Pointe mixed use office/retail/residential center in Dania Beach, FL.
- Representation of purchaser of $22MM multi building medical office complex in Pembroke Pines, FL.
- Representation of developer of Everglades on the Bay (Vizcayne) in the development, leasing and sale of units in the $200MM mixed use office/retail/residential project in Miami, FL.
- Representation of purchaser of multi building $74MM office complex in Doral, FL.
- Representation of purchaser of Forum office building complex in West Palm Beach, FL.
- Representation of developer of 220 Alhambra project in development, leasing and $75MM sale of project in Coral Gables, FL.
- Representation of purchaser of $30MM commercial warehouse portfolio in Orlando, FL.
- Representation of lender in refinancing of $13MM Shopping Center portfolio in Clermont, FL.
- Representation of lender in refinancing of $22MM Wynwood property portfolio.
- Representation of purchaser of $105MM apartment complex in North Miami Beach, FL.
Mr. Rivera maintains an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, a national lawyer directory. He is also an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the global trade association of the shopping center industry. Mr. Rivera has held several leadership positions within ICSC, having served as the Florida State Director, as a member of the faculty and dean of law at the ICSC University of Shopping Centers at Wharton: as a member of the Educational Advisory Committee for the University program and for the John T. Riordan School; served as the Divisional Government Affairs Chairman for the seven-state Southern Division and as Florida Government Affairs Chairman. He has also served as conference chairman of the 1997 Conference of the Americas; 1998 Florida Law Symposium; 2006 US Shopping Center Law Conference; 2004 and 2012 Florida Conference and 2015 and 2016 Latin American Law Conference. He has been a member of the planning committee for the ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference for the past 20 years and for the Latin American Shopping Centers Law Symposium for the past 4 years. He is also a recipient of the ICSC Trustees Distinguished Service Award. Mr. Rivera has also served on the board of directors of the South Florida Chapter of NAIOP. Mr Rivera has been recognized as a Florida top lawyer by Florida Trend magazine’s Legal Elite on multiple occasions, as well as by the National Law Journal, the South Florida Legal Guide and Best Lawyers in America.
Lecturing on various topics throughout the Unites States and South America, Mr. Rivera has been an advocate, mentor and educator to hundreds of professionals in the real estate industry.
- Basic Issues in Commercial Leases
- Tax Issues in Sales
- Rent, Operating Expenses, Marketing and Other Monetary Issues Entertainment Center Leases: Theater, Restaurant and Other Idiosyncratic Issues
- Anatomy of a Lease
- Rent Operating Expenses, Marketing and Other Monetary Issues
- Navigating Through the De-Malling Maze
- The Economics of the Lease
- The Eight Often Ignored Lease Clauses
- Current Issues in Restaurant Leasing
- Drafting Leases to Make you Money
- Negotiating Co-Tenancy Clauses in South America
- The Art of Negotiating Leases
- Do I Think That? Unconscious Bias – How to Spot it and Become an Inclusive Leader
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1981
B.A., Accounting, University of Miami, 1978
US Tax Court