B. Michael Clark, Jr.Shareholder
Michael Clark has been with the firm since 2007, practicing primarily in the areas of construction, insurance and commercial litigation. He represents entities and individuals ranging from large developers to small suppliers in all facets of construction. He assists his clients in every step of a project, from contract drafting and negotiation prior to commencing work, through negotiating disputes mid-project and, when necessary, litigating to judgment after the job is complete.
Mr. Clark has extensive experience with issues involving breach of contract, liens, bonds, delay claims, bid protests, insurance coverage disputes and property insurance claims. He also assists his clients in other matters, often involving breach of contract, breach of lease, accounts receivable factoring or other commercial disputes.
He is Board Certified in Construction Law by The Florida Bar.
- Recovered favorable insurance settlements in favor of condominium associations and commercial businesses after property and income losses resulting from disasters.
- Obtained favorable settlements related to the reconstruction of the World Trade Center in New York and for Miami Dade College in connection with the collapse, during construction, of its West Campus Parking Garage.
- Recovered favorable judgments and settlements for several high rise condominiums for the repair of construction defects, including roofing, glazing, post tension systems, waterproofing, building envelope systems and fire safety systems.
- Recovered favorable judgments and settlements in favor of high end restaurant contractors, including recovery on construction liens and contract disputes.
- Recovered favorable judgments and settlements in favor of electrical subcontractor, including recovery on construction liens and contract disputes.
- Successfully defended bid protests in connection with public utility and wastewater projects.
Following his first year of law school, Mr. Clark served as an intern for the Honorable William M. Hoeveler, United States District Judge for the Southern District of Florida.
He is an active member of the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law, where he serves as the chair of Division 7 - Insurance, Surety and Liens. He has also spoken at multiple national programs on Construction Law.
Locally, Mr. Clark is a member of the Construction Association of South Florida, the South Florida Associated General Contractors, and the Associated Builders and Contractors. In association with the South Florida Associated General Contractors, Mr. Clark has lectured on the Florida Lien Law. He has also presented a webinar on the basics of commercial general liability insurance, and has been involved in multiple other seminars, often involving insurance, construction and related issues. He has also lectured at the University of Miami School of Law to the Florida Construction Law class.
Mr. Clark was recognized as a "Rising Star" by Florida Super Lawyers from 2013-2017. He has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” from 2018-2021. He has also been ranked under the "Up and Coming" category in construction law by Chambers and Partners.
- “Statute of Limitation Begins to Run When Principal Under Surety Bond Abandons Construction Project”
- “Fla. Supreme Court Finds Insurers Liable From Onset of Construction Defect Pre-Suit Process”
- “Ruling Creates Opening for Property Owners to Escape from Liens”
- Stuart Sobel, Steven Siegfried and Michael Clark Secure $33.5 Million Settlement for Miami Dade College Garage Collapse, Sobel Discusses Settlement in Reports by NBC 6, The Miami Herald and Daily Business Review
- Co-authored "Licensure", Construction Subcontracting: A Comprehensive Practical and Legal Guide (Chapter 15, American Bar Association, 2014).
- Contributor of Florida Construction Lien Law and Florida Construction Law, Aspen Publishers, 2001.
J.D., University of Miami, 2006
B.S., Business Management, Wright State University, 2001
United States Court for Southern and Northern Districts of Florida